Jump to Content  

Frequently Asked Questions

Are all the parks and open space in Los Angeles and Ventura County in this listing?


No. The parks listed are only parks managed by the Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority (MRCA) that the MRCA owns or that are owned by the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy.

Who else owns public open space and parkland in this area?

There are many branches of federal, state and local government that own and manage parkland in the Santa Monica Mountains and Rim of the Valley Zone and the Los Angeles River Watershed. While not a complete listing, these include:
Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area unit of the National Park Service (SAMO)
USDA Forest Service–Angeles National Forest
California State Parks, Angeles District
County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation
City of Los Angeles Recreation and Park District
Conejo Recreation and Park District
Rancho Simi Recreation and Park District
Conejo Open Space Conservation Agency

How can I find hiking spots near me?

Check out the MRCA Interactive Recreation Map for trails and parks managed by the MRCA.

Can I get married or hold a special event in an MRCA park?

Yes. Many MRCA parks have beautiful areas and facilities to host a wedding or special event, but you must have a permit. For more information, visit our special event page or contact us.

Can I film in parkland managed by the MRCA?

Yes. Please take a look at the filiming and photography listing on this website or contact us

How can I purchase a parking permit for MRCA Parks?

You can purchase a parking permit online on our parking permit page.

Are dogs allowed in MRCA parks?

Yes.  Dogs are allowed on leash and under the owner’s immediate control in most MRCA parks.  Dogs are not allowed at King Gillette Ranch .