On November 6, 2012, voters in the Santa Monica Mountains areas of Encino, Tarzana, and Woodland Hills, were asked to vote on Measure MM which will provide funding to the MRCA for protecting and maintaining local open space and wildlife corridors, parklands, fire prevention, ranger safety patrols and clean water within the Encino, Tarzana, and Woodland Hills areas of the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy Zone.
Measure MM was approved by 68.67% of the voters.
Map of Measure MM boundary area. Only voters in this area cast a vote on Measure MM. All funds raised by Measure MM can only be spent in this boundary area.
Measure MM will:
· Maintain and protect local open space, parklands, and wildlife corridors
· Prevent additional traffic and preserve open space in the hillsides and canyons
· Improve local fire prevention services, including crews to clear dry brush and eliminate other fire hazards
· Maintain and improve park ranger safety and security patrols to prevent crime and vandalism
· Improve local water quality by keeping pollution and trash out of local creeks and reservoirs.
Beginning in fiscal year 2013-2014, property owners in the Santa Monica Mountains communities of Encino, Tarzana, and Woodland Hills will be assessed $19 per year on their regular property tax bill to allow the MRCA to improve the public safety, fire prevention, and open space protection services the agency provides in these areas.
Every penny raised by Measure MM will stay in the Measure MM District boundary.
A Citizen’s Oversight Committee will conduct annual audits to ensure the funds are spent properly and only within the subject Santa Monica Mountains portions of Encino, Tarzana and Woodland Hills
Map of Potential Acquisition Areas